Carrickedmond win Intermediate Championship

Carrickedmond 0-09,  Sean Connolly’s 0-08

Carrickedmond claimed the Intermediate title after a late point from Patrick Farrell gave them a one point win over Sean Connolly’s in Saturday’s replay.

Just like the first game Carrick were wasteful in front of the posts and this could’ve cost them in the closing stages when Eugene Murtagh had a goal chance three minutes from time but instead of finding the net he blasted the ball over the bar for a point.

It was Dessie Reynolds who opened the scoring with a nice point after four minutes of play. Minutes later Carrick keeper Garret Higgins pulled off an excellent save to deny Reynolds a goal.

Two points in quick succession got Carrick off the mark but Stephen Lynch (free) levelled in the 12th minute. Marty Mulveyreplied for Carrick before Lynch got a fine point from play. Mulvey and TrevorMurtagh exchanged scores to level matters again. In the 20th minute Mulvey hit over his 4th point to edge his side in front.

Higgins was on hand one minute later to deny Reynolds again. Both sides were guilty of wayward shooting as Carrick went in at the break ahead by a point; 0-05 to 0-04.

Carrick started the second half well and fired over two early points but Connolly’s hit back with a fine Reynolds point. CathalPearse Belton put two between them again in the 38th minute however Connolly’s were level in the 46th minute with points from Reynolds and another Lynch free.

Carrick squandered numerous chances to take a grip of the game and show their dominance on the scoreboard. Padraig O’Shea put them back in front in the 49th minute but they failed to tag on further points despite creating opportunities.

Three minutes from time Connolly’s had a great chance to grab a goal when Reynolds played a nice ball to TrevorMurtagh but he somehow blasted his ball over the bar instead of under. It was hard on the Ballinalee outfit because minutes Carrick broke with Jonathan Keegan playing the ball to Patrick Ball and he fisted the ball over the bar to give Carrickedmond a one point win and the Gerry Hennessy Cup.

Carrickedmond: Garret Higgins; Johnny Gerety, Oisin Farrell, Rioch Farrell; Padraig McGrath, James Murray, Niall O’Farrell; John O’Shea, Barry O’Farrell; Marty Mulvey (0-4), Padraig O’Shea (0-1,1f), CathalPearse Belton (0-3); Patrick Farrell (0-1), Mark McDonnell, Jonathan Keegan.

Subs: Padraig Conway for P O’Shea (55) John Lenehan for McDonnell (59)

Sean Connolly’s: Keith Molihan; Andy MacNamee, Ciaran MacEoin, Thomas Keogh; Dominic Watters, Michael McGlynn, Daniel Collum; Stephen Lynch (0-3,2f), Frank Reynolds; Padraig Brady, Greg Masterson, TrevorMurtagh (0-2); Dessie Reynolds (0-3), Eugene Murtagh, John McKenna.

Subs: Brendan Treacy for Watters (23), Joe Heaney for McKenna (37), David Brady for E Murtagh (53)

Referee: John Hughes (Emmet Og)