Killoe score a very easy win over St. James

Leinster Club Senior Football Championship First Round

  • Killoe Emmet Og   5-11
  • St James (Wexford)   1-4
By Padraic O’Brien – Longford Leader

Killoe Emmet Og are through to the Leinster Club Senior Football Championship quarter-final after scoring a very easy win over Wexford opponents St James, Ramsgrange in the first round game at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday.

The massive margin of 19 points separated the sides in the finish and Killoe were really rampant in the first quarter as they raced into a very commanding 4-4 to 0-0 lead with the vital goals coming from Mark Hughes (2 mins), Denis McGoldrick (13 mins), Sean McCormack (14 mins) and Larry Moran (15 mins).

It was all over as a contest at that early stage as Emmet Og, in a very direct approach, made great use of the wind advantage and the rattled Ramsgrange outfit had to wait until the 26th minute for their opening score from a free converted by Kevin O’Grady.

After leading by 4-6 to 0-1 at the break, Killoe eased up somewhat in the second half as they allowed Adam Parle to snatch a goal for the visitors in the 38th minute but this proved to be nothing more than a consolation score.

The Longford champions continued to create some clear-cut chances and scored a fifth goal in the 43rd minute when Mark Hughes planted a penalty in the back of the St James net.

And just for good measure Emmet Og clocked up another five points during the remainder of the match, a brace from Paddy Kiernan along with a trio from Michael Quinn in a final flourish.

Declan Rowley’s slick side played some excellent football in the first half and can now look forward to another home tie against the Meath champions in the next round on Sunday week, November 8th.

KILLOE EMMET OG: Cillian Burns; Liam Hughes, Padraig McCormack, Daniel Keogh; Shane Dowd, Michael Quinn (0-3), Cian Farrelly; Paddy Thompson, Simon Kiernan (0-1); Denis McGoldrick (1-1), Daniel Mimnagh (0-1), Paddy Kiernan (0-2); Larry Moran (1-1), Sean McCormack (1-2), Mark Hughes (2-0, one from penalty).

Subs:- Shane Clarke for S Dowd (injured, 24 mins); Joe McCormack for P Thompson (42 mins); Eugene Clarke for L Moran (43 mins); Ronan Keogh for C Farrelly (52 mins); Ciaran Donohoe for D McGoldrick (55 mins); Paul O’Hara for M Quinn (60 mins).

ST JAMES, RAMSGRANGE: John Ryan; Shane Murphy, Jason Barron, Greg Doyle; David Doyle, Robbie Barron, Daniel Keating; Graeme Molloy, Matthew O’Hanlon (0-1, free); Adam Parle (1-1, point from free), Kevin O’Grady (0-2, frees), Mark Molloy; Brian Molloy, Brendan Doyle, Donal Barron.

Subs:- Liam Murphy for D Barron (37 mins); Darragh Lyons for D Keating (41 mins); Brian Kennedy for G Doyle (black card, 42 mins); Emmet Dunning for M Molloy (49 mins); Enda Crosbie for S Murphy (59 mins); Stuart Dunning for B Molloy (59 mins).

Referee: John Hickey (Carlow).