Longford footballers bow out of Leinster

Wexford 1-15 Longford 1-13

​Longford suffered another narrow defeat to Wexford as they were made rue poor finishing and wrong shot selection. ​Just like previous games there was nothing between the sides in the end but for a fifth time in a row Longford failed to beat the Slaneysiders, despite having plenty of opportunities to record a win.

​Wexford deserved this win; they took their chances when they came and their forwards gave the Longford defence a torrid time throughout with Ciaran Lyng impressive throughout.​

It was a tight opening 10 minutes with both sides hitting over two points apiece. Wexford got the opening goal in the 12th minute when Lyng finished to the net. They followed that up with a point from Robert Dempsey to extend the lead to four points.

​Longford replied with fine points from Paul Barden and Brian Kavanagh before the ball was overturned and Wexford got another point with Ben Brosnan firing over.

​Wexford opened up the Longford defence again in the 18th minute and very nearly got a second goal; Dempsey collected a pass from Lyng but Longford keeper Damien Sheridan made a great save to deny him.

​The gap was one in the 23rd minute when Sean McCormack and Michael Quinn it over two very good points. Longford then squandered a number of chances to level the game before Wexford put two between them in the 26th minute when Lyng fisted over.

​There was one between them again in the 30th minute when McCormack hit over a free and then one minute later Doyle was unlucky to hit his effort straight at Wexford keeper Shane Roche. Wexford hit back with three quick points to put four between them going in at the break; 0-07 to 1-08.

​Kavanagh got the opening score of the second half but Wexford replied with a fantastic point from PJ Banville. Barden hit over his third point of the game in the 41st minute but Lyng put four between them again with a terrific point. It was five minutes later when Brosnan fired over a free. ​Just like the first half Longford were guilty of some poor finishing and kicked a number of wides. McCormack hit over a free as Longford went in search of scores. Substitute Mark Hughes, who surprisingly didn’t start, set up McGee in the 55thminute who coolly finished to the net. A free from McCormack in the 58th minute after Quinn was fouled drew Longford level.

​Wexford edged back in front one minutes later with a free from Brosnan but points from McCormack (free) and half-back Enda Williams turned the game in Longford’s favour but Wexford never gave up and a Lyng free drew them level again in the 65th minute.

A great block from Adrian Flynn allowed them to break in the 68th minute with Lyng hitting over a superb point.Substitute Michael O’Regan sealed the win for Wexford one minute from the end. Wexford: Shane Roche; Robert Tierney, Graeme Molloy, Conor Carty; Michael Furlong, Brian Malone (0-1), Adrian Flynn (0-1); Daithi Waters (0-1), Paddy Byrne; Robert Dempsey (0-1), PJ Banville (0-1), James Holmes; CiaranLyng (1-5,2f), Ben Brosnan (0-3,2f), Kevin O’Grady (0-1 ).

Sub used: Tiernan Rossiter for Tierney (56), John Tubritt for Holmes (57), Cillian Kehoe for Dempsey (63), MichaelO’Regan (0-1) for Byrne (66) Longford: Damien Sheridan; Dermot Brady, Barry Gilleran, Fergal Battrim; Colm P. Smyth, Enda Williams (0-1), Shane Mulligan; John Keegan, Michael Quinn (0-1); Shane Doyle,Francis McGee (1-1), Paul Barden (0-3); Niall Mulligan, Brian Kavanagh (0-2), Sean McCormack (0-5,4f).

Subs used: Peter Foy for N Mulligan (33), Kevin Diffley for Keegan (45), Barry O’Farrell for D Brady (47), Mark Hughes for Doyle (50) Referee: David Gough (Meath)