SFC Quarter Final: St Columba’s v Granard

St. Columba’s Mullinalaghta 1-11; St. Mary’s Granard 0-10 By Deniese O’Flaherty St. Columba’s booked their place in the Longford SFC semi-final with a hard fought win over their neighbours St. Mary’s. The Granard side played the majority of the game with 14 men after Vinny Nally was sent off for a second yellow in the 13th minute. It was a gallant performance from St. Mary’s who played some good football throughout but they kicked 10 wides, took the wrong options on a number of occasions and gave away frees which David McGivney duly punished. The minor kicked over 7 frees. Jayson Matthews hit over the first point of the game before Granard took control kicking over four excellent points through Stephen Lynch (two), Darren Gallagher and Liam Sullivan. In the space of a minute the game turned for Mullinalaghta; Matthews found the back of the net to draw the game in the 12th minute and then Nally got sent off for Granard. A point from Liam O’Rourke put Granard back in front before two McGivney frees put Mullinalaghta in front in the 18th minute. Lynch (free) and Brian Sheridan replied for Granard but Mullinalaghta ended the half well with points with three points in a row to give them a two point lead going in at the break. Sullivan cut the gap to one point four minutes into the second half but McGivney was accurate in front of the posts kicking over frees to put four between the sides in the 49th minute. Granard had chances but hit a number of wides. After over 20 minutes of football they got their second point of the second half with a great point from Lynch. In 60th minute Mullinalaghta had restored their four point advantage with another free. As the clock ticked down Granard tried to grab a goal that would level the game but just couldn’t; Gallagher pointed a free in stoppage time while down the other end substitute Kevin Mulligan fired over a point right at the end to leave four between them at the end. St. Columba’s: Patrick Rogers; Conan Brady, Patrick Fox, Simon Cadam; Francis Mulligan, James McGivney, Shane Mulligan; Ruairi McElligott, John Keegan; Conor McElligott (0-1), Gary Rogers, Donie McElligott; David McGivney (0-7, 7f), Jayson Matthews (1-2,1f), Aidan McElligott. Subs: Kevin Mulligan (0-1) for F Mulligan (49), Bernard Donohoe for C McElligott (59) St. Mary’s: Gary Mallon; Jody Connolly, Thomas Gallagher, Vinny Nally; Brian Sheridan (0-1), Mark Tully, Eoin Higgins; Liam O’Rourke (0-1), David Blessington; Paul Smyth, Liam Sullivan (0-2), Stephen Lynch (0-4,1f); David Hynes, Darren Gallagher (0-2,1f), Derek Sheridan. Subs: Declan Hynes for Hynes inj (ht), Fergus Kelly for Blessington (44), Thomas Devaney for Connolly (49), Bernard Clyne for Tully (55), Timmy Jackson for D Sheridan (57) Referee: Michael O’Brien (Longford Slashers)