NUACHT RÁITEAS | MEDIA RELEASE 5 Meitheamh, 2020 Joint Media Release from the GAA, An Cumann Camógaíochta and the LGFA Covid-19 Update – Safe Return to Gaelic Games
The GAA, An Cumann Camogaíochta and the LGFA have today published a plan for a safe return to Gaelic games for the three organisations.
The plan (linked here) is the work of a specially appointed Advisory Committee, which included representatives of all three bodies, the GPA and a number of medical experts (see below for committee members). It offers a route back to activity, subject to the government timelines being achieved in the weeks and months ahead.
It is broken down into sections covering Medical Advice; Preparing for a Safe Return; Information for Players and Team Personnel; Summary and Checklist; Roadmap for Return to Activity.
Some of the stand-out elements of the report include:
- A gradual return to on-field non-contact activity in Phase Three of the Government plan in small groups.
- The need for an online education programme and new measures around temperature checking and completed documentation before training and games.
- A return to contact sport on July 20.
- Provisional windows for club activity and the return of inter-county training and competitions.
The document mirrors the Government roadmap and outlines the opt-in approach of the wider Gaelic games family regarding a possible return to activity and play.
It is being distributed to all units today with a view to providing them with time to put in place the necessary arrangements to facilitate a return to activity.The members of the Covid-19 Advisory Group are:
- Shay Bannon (Chairman) – Chairman of GAA Health and Safety Committee
- Professor Mary Horgan (U.C.C. and President of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland)
- Dick Clerkin (Chairman of GAA Medical Scientific and Welfare Committee)
- Dr Pat O’Neill (Dublin)
- Dr Kevin Moran (Donegal)
- Dr Jim O’Donovan (Limerick)
- Dr Sean Moffatt (Chair of Gaelic Athletic Medics Association and Mayo team doctor)
- Paul Flynn (CEO Gaelic Players Association)
- Stephen McGeehan (Head of Operations, Ulster GAA)
- Tony McGuinness (Events and Safety Manager, Croke Park)
- Sinéad Mc Nulty (CEO, Cumann Camogaíochta na nGael)
- Helen O’Rourke (CEO, Ladies Gaelic Football Association)
- John Horan (Uachtarán CLG)
- Tom Ryan (Ard Stiúrthóir CLG)
- Feargal McGill (Director of Player, Club and Games Administration CLG)